Why choose Young Living essential oils?
Check out this video of Young Living Essential Oils CEO, D. Gary Young, harvesting lavender at the YL farm in France in June 2014.
This is a beautiful shot from our latest shoot in Simiane-la-Rotunde, France. In film, we’re used to setting up a shot and then having people behave and do things they wouldn’t normally do, for show. This is Gary Young doing something that he does on a regular basis, no set up.
What other company founder does this?! That’s why the quality of YL Essential Oils is so great, the seed to seal guarantee that starts at the top and continues on down through every distributor.
Why Young Living essential oils are so different
Only 2% of essential oils sold in North America are suitable for medicinal purposes, and Young Living makes 98% of them! The reason Young Living’s oils are so different is a result of their strict, detailed method for producing the oils to obtain the purest, ‘un-messed-with’ plant essences. Young Living calls this their Seed to Seal process, where every step from planting to bottling is detailed and controlled. (Information from the Young Living website)
- Seed – Potent essential oils come from plant species that have been authenticated by Young Living experts. Species certification involves scientific research, field study, university partnerships, and on-site planting certification.
- Cultivate – Through cultivation on the four Young Living farms, Young Living Essential Oils has mastered the creation of pure, potent essential oils. The company takes this knowledge around the world to co-op farms to certify that these farms’ growing processes meet Young Living’s strict quality standards.
- Distill – Young Living’s proprietary low-temperature, low-pressure steam distillation process ensures that the beneficial plant compounds in every batch of essential oil remain uncompromised during the extraction process.
- Test – Each essential oil must pass Young Living’s stringent testing to ensure the optimal bioactive natural compounds are present. Young Living uses its own internal labs, in addition to third-party audits, to verify that international purity and potency standards are met and surpassed.
- Seal – Young Living completes the Seed to Seal process by carefully sealing each bottle of essential oil before shipping them to members worldwide.
Why is quality so important?
The vast majority of other essential oils are extracted using high heat, high pressure, and chemical solvents. Although the final product may still contain the aroma of the plant, these harsh processing methods destroy the therapeutic qualities of the oils. Using lesser-quality oils for therapeutic purposes is never recommended and can be extremely toxic. Another problem is that there are currently no standards when it comes to labeling a bottle of essential oil. If a bottle of oil contains just 5% essential oil, by law it can be labeled as 100% Pure Essential Oil! So if you see labels like “Organic,” “100% Pure,” or “All Natural” on a bottle of oil at the health food store, you still have no way of knowing the quality of the oil. Especially if that bottle is $8 or $12, it has more than likely been mass produced very cheaply, with very little attention to the way it was processed. In a cheap bottle of oil, the therapeutic compounds have been destroyed by the heat, pressure, and/or chemical solvents. Hopefully in the future there will be labeling regulations for essential oils. The FDA has actually asked Gary Young (founder of Young Living) to help set standards for essential oil labeling because of his expertise! This is just one more reason I trust in the quality of this brand!
Check out the Young Living’s blog for more helpful oily suggestions!